American Medical Missionary College (US)

A coeducational medical school operated from 1895 to 1910 in Chicago, Illinois, and Battle Creek, Michigan, incorporated separately but sponsored by the Battle Creek Sanitarium. It offered a four-year course leading to the M.D. degree. Students were to be “those who desire to devote their lives to altruistic work,” with preference given to “those who are preparing themselves for medical missionary activity in home or foreign fields” ( The Battle Creek Schools [1905-1906 bulletin], p. 43). The school’s president was John Harvey Kellogg, M.D., who continued to serve as the pivotal administrative and professional figure in the Battle Creek Sanitarium. From 1899 to 1910, 194 Doctor of Medicine degrees were conferred. The faculty included the staff of Battle Creek Sanitarium and sever...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

Vertical Tabs

Address
United States