Claremont Sanitarium (Claremont/Capetown, ZA)

A 51-room medical institution operated from 1897 to 1905 near Claremont, a suburb of Cape Town, South Africa, under the direction of the International Medical Missionary and Benevolent Association of Battle Creek Michigan (the organization headed by J. H. Kellogg). No expense was spared to make it the best-equipped medical institution south of the equator, the total cost amounting to £50,000, of which the Wessels family contributed £30,000. The first medical director was R. S. Anthony, M.D. (a former pioneer colporteur), who was later assisted by Kate Lindsay, M.D., who came from Battle Creek Sanitarium. Within a week of opening every bed was filled and it became necessary to rent adjacent buildings. Early in 1900, while the Anglo-Boer War was raging, the British imperial government requ...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

Vertical Tabs

Address
Claremont/Capetown
South Africa